Re: ICE vs Water

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Whether it's in the ground or not, here's the scoop..
>
> Liquid water has molecules that can move around.  Water is highly polar
> (that means the molecules are + at one end and - at the other), so an RF
> field makes the molecules flip back and forth, as well as move along the
> field.  The movement isn't friction free - so the water gets hot... the
> principle behind the microwave oven (and diathermy, for that matter). Some
> of the water is ionized (oddly, about 1e7 ions in 18 grams of water), and
> the ions drift through, allowing DC current to flow.
>
> Solid water has the molecules locked into a lattice where they can't move.
> Actually, they can move, a little, but not as much: the lattice is like a
> bunch of fairly stiff springs.  They move less, so the frictional losses
> are less, which is why frozen stuff doesn't heat well in a microwave.  And,
> the ions aren't able to move around as freely, which is why the DC
> resistance is much higher.
>
> In the case of salts in the water (typical in soil), the ions from the
> salts can't move either when the water is frozen.

i imagine that is why we had to drive the tree spikes down at least 3', to get
them below the frost line?
i think the addition insured a good conduction at least from here down. in
building airco's oxygen manufacturing plant in youngstown, the 160 ground rods
used were 12' long and 1" in diameter with cad welded connections of bare 250
mcm going to every steel item in the area. a semi trailer load of copper that
made all the "scrapers" drool.
marc