Re: Staco Variac

In a message dated 11/10/00 3:55:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< Original poster: "Jason Johnson" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

 Hello,

 I have a Staco 5021CT variac. It is my prized-possesion, as I got it for 50
 bucks and it is the best deal I got on all of my coiling stuff. It is rated
for
 28 amps 240 volts in 0-280 out, 7.8 Kva. My question is: How much can you use
 these things over their rated current? It wouldn't be seeing much more than
40
 amps  regularly and this would only be for a short time. I know other people
 have had this same type of variac in the past as I have seen them in other
 posts, but I really don't want to fry my variac.

 Jason Johnson >>

Hi Jason,

I use a 28 amp, 0-280 volt Adjust-A-Volt variable transformer with
my 10 kVA pole pig system at up to around 45 amps for relatively
short runs with my coil and I've never felt it get but just slightly
above ambient temperature. So, I think you would be perfectly safe
operating at up to 40 amps considering the intermitent duty cycles
associated with coiling.

Keeping 'em Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben