RE: Failure Mode...Weird!

Sundog -

The main problem in selecting a volts/turn for the secondary wire insulation
is that the safety factor is difficult to determine. The insulation
breakdown voltages are listed in many tables and can be easily checked by
tests. However, a factor of safety must be applied to these breakdown values
and that is where the problem lies.

I have tested wire with enamel insulation and found the breakdown voltages
to vary from about 4000 (magnet wire) to 8000 (formvar) volts. For design I
use 500 volts per mil of enamel. This is a safety factor of over 10 and
works for small coils. With 1000 turns at 500 volts/turn the total output
volts are 500 KV. This will work with larger coils but higher voltage will
stress the insulation and reduce the operating life.

To test the insulation I used a 7500 volt NST with two 10 KV diodes from the
junk box. With a variac this gave me a DC test voltage up to 10 KV. Cut off
about 12 inches of wire and form it into a U shape. Scrape the insulation
off one end and insert the U about half way into salt water in a jar .
Connect one hot lead to the test wire and the other lead to a bare wire
inserted into the salt water. Both leads are hot. Connect a high voltage
voltmeter across the two leads.

Crank up the variac until the NST gives a grunt and the voltmeter drops to
zero. You may have to use a magnifying glass to see the tiny pinhole in the
insulation. This works with thin enamel insulations but thicker insulations
may not break down below 10 KV. I found some vinyl insulations did not break
down below the max 10 KV but lasted only a short time in TC operation
because of the high RF voltage stresses.

John Couture