[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Better Electrode Material

In a message dated 5/25/00 7:58:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Original Poster: "Luc" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
>
>  Hi John,
>

>  Silver sound interesting I have here a pound of pure silver chip and you
> could
>  easily coat copper with a thick coat of silver just with a propane torch ,
> but
>  I'm interested to know on what kind of SG you use it.
>
>  Luc Benard(Montreal)

Luc,

The silver gaps are about 3/4" diameter by 1/8" thick silver discs
that are attached to large brass heavy screws (they were
manufactured this way).  These are contacts
from some sort of high current electrical contactors.  I used the gap
in a small OBIT powered TC that gave 13" sparks, next I used it
in a larger NST powered TC that gave 40" sparks using a 12/30
NST.  This coil may have benefited from having some air blowing
on the gaps, but I didn't try it.  Next I used the gap on a coil that
gave 46" from a 15/60 NST, this coil too probably would have
benefited from having some air blown onto the gaps for cooling.
I say this because the sparks tended to get shorter after running
a few seconds, so I assume the gaps were heating up and firing
at a lower voltage.

Cheers,
John Freau