[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wives and Tesla coils

I've been trying to design a relatively high voltage coil (500kv) which
doesn't have a loud spark gap.  I'm not a very advanced builder, and
typically resort to crude equipment such as salt water capacitors, and two
bolts for a spark gap.  I've tried various solid-state or tube amplifiers,
but I never can quite get both the power and the frequency for decent
output.

The problem is my wife doesn't like some of the blasting sounds of my
tesla coil, and as a result hates Tesla along with anyone and anything
associated with him.  At one point in time, I tried to introduce her to
some of the Tesla's works, but she really isn't interested.  She's taken
it as a given that I'm a nut, but would prefer if the tesla coil didn't
make so much noise.

Any assistance in building quiet (audio) but simple spark gaps would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
                            - A. Banerjee