Subject: Sync motor mod & Remote phase cntrl
Author:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> at INTERNET
Date:    3/23/00 10:32 PM

Original Poster: "R.E.Burnett" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Mark,

Regarding machining your sync motor:

I machined a 1/8th horse 1425RPM rotor down a while ago to run a 1500RPM
synchronous rotary.  I only machined TWO flats,  (4 is really the correct
number you should use for a 4 pole machine though.)  This motor has plenty
of power to turn my 7" phenolic disk with electrodes.  Even with only 2
flats I can only just induce a pole slip by pressing on the disk edge with
a finger.  At its rated supply voltage it slips just before the skin
starts to burn ;-)

     <snip>

I am currently modifying a 1/2HP 2950RPM motor for 3000RPM use,  and have
the same problem as you.  This motor can barely hold a bare 7" disk in
lock at 3000RPM,  and I have reached the point where removing more metal
will cause a noticeable decrease in staring torque.  The only solution I
see in these situations is to use a smaller disk or over-volt the machine
slightly to coax a little more locking torque.
     <snip>
                                                        -Richie,