[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Load Optimizing - Q?

Hi Malcolm,

	All my tests are for streamers going to free air without ground strikes.
I use plane wave antennas and my fiber-optic probes to gather information
that I feed to MicroSim models, or I measure currents directly.  The main
links are as follows:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/modact/modact.html

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/planant/waveant3.html

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/R4APROBE.ZIP

users.berter-dot-org seems to still be down :-(

Let me know if you want more info.  It is possible that other coils may act
differently than my own.  Mine are both LTR coils that were made with the
same "mind set" so another mind may make a coil with different properties.
;-))  The plane wave antennas are pretty easy to make.  The fiber-optic
probes are now owned by a number of people, and MicroSim modeling is done
by many.  So I am not the only voice on all this and others will hopefully
report on their observations and thoughts as well!!

I have also done studies were I figure out the power going into a coil and
account for all the losses as in the following "deja vu" post :-)

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1999/June/msg00308.html

I used to think good quenching was the key to everything... but rotary gaps
tend to be poor quenchers but they offer other power advantages.  I "now"
think that rotary gaps and a primary circuit designed to have low loss is
the best way to go.  The rotary gaps give excellent power throughput and
allow LTR designs (although static gaps "may" be able to get near the same
performance).  I sort of "gave up" on the first notch quenching in favor of
highly controlled gap timing, LTR, and low loss primary circuits.  "I"
can't get 80% efficiency.  My gaps burn off a lot of heat but the power
that does get through gets used well.

However...  If your arcs are to ground...  Then the efficiency would
improve drastically now that I think about it...  But "I" like air
streamers. :-))

Cheers,

	Terry

At 09:01 AM 03/22/2000 +1200, you wrote:
>HI Terry,
>                Under what secondary discharge conditions - air or
>attached?  Is your measuring technique detailed somewhere in you
>webpage?  I'd like to have a look if it is please.
>
>Regards,
>Malcolm
>
>> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>>
>> At 11:49 AM 03/21/2000 +1200, you wrote:
snip....