[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Basic Questions that I Would Know if I Would Think About It...

Well, right now I'm using 15kv -at- 90ma (1350watts) of power.   My neons
seems to have a tough time excepting a fourth unit to make 120ma for some
reason.  I figured I needed a bigger capacitor, but I don't know what I'm
gonna do.  To make the capacitance any larger, I would need 20 saltwater
caps or better, which is obviously undesirable for several reasons.  They
aren't that great anyway. :)  I have som MMC caps; they are .21µf at
~625VAC.  So I hook 30 together to make a string of .007µf at ~18750VAC.
(Even though I have never blown a cap at that voltage rating.  I am using
24 of them right now and that makes even less than 15KV and haven't blown a
cap after many 30-sec usages.)   The capacitance is still too low, and the
voltage rating is not really sufficient for a 15KV NST anyway.  I don't
have a whole lot of these left - not enough to make an elaborate
series-parallel network of capacitors.  I have some nice mica transmitting
capacitors, but they are only .0065µf at 20KV.  So, I'm stuck with a
mammoth 8" coil and an itty-bitty capacitor. :(  I'm too poor for this
hobby anyway. :)  But I appreciate the feedback.

	Thanks,
	     Ryan Ries