[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Basic Questions; how to achieve a proper tune

In a message dated 3/18/00 3:13:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> From the way I figure, the secondary is probably too tall.  Thus,
>  the secondary self-capacitance is too high and frequency is too low.  (Or
>  something to that effect. :-)  Please tell me if this sort of problem may
>  be fixed by changing the value of our primary capacitor, tuning inward on
>  the primary instead of out toward the edge like I thought, or shortening
>  the secondary. (Don't know if that one will work. :))  Thanks,
>
>       -- Ryan

Ryan,

You can either;  1) add more turns to the primary,  2) add more
capacitance, or 3) shorten the secondary.  Having said that, I would
not shorten the secondary, because tall secondaries usually give
better performance in general (although there are many factors).
Another reason not to shorten the secondary is that you may have
to shorten it too much to make it tune properly.

Cheers,
John Freau