[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary form materials

I'm beginning the research and sometime down the road, construction of a
Tesla coil whose secondary will be approximately 1.5 meters high and .15
meters in radius. I need some help clarifying what material to use for the
secondary coil form.

In the August 1997 edition of the "American Journal of Physics," I came
across an article that stated the only sensible way to create the secondary
coil was to have as little dielectric material in the vicinity as possible.
In the article, this was accomplished by spacing six small acrylic tubes at
the edges of a hexagon, leaving the center open to the air. Is it necessary
to go to such an extreme to limit dielectric loss. If not, what material
would be best suited for a secondary form.

Thanks,

Blair