[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: UV Detection methods was Ultraviolet light from brushdischarge.

Troy

Sounds like possible phosporescence to me. It could either be a treatment on
the carpet, or (is it a wool or wool-mix carpet?) perhaps some natural
phosphors contained in the wool itself. Next time I'm out in the conutry,
I might try a flashgun on some sheep.... Another possibility is that the highly
ionised stream of particles flowing across the surface of the fibres left a
subtantial charge on the carpet, and as it leaked away it was actually corona
you were seeing. Carpet is of course a great electostatic material, as *anyone*
who's walked with plastic-soled shoes on a carpet on a dry day will know when
they touch a doorknob.... However due to possible risks and ear-bending from
other 'carpet-users' I would perform the next test under more 'controlled'
conditions!

Alex

<snip>