[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC TC

>That's an excellent question! I tried it once myself. I used a rectifier on
>each leg to do the full wave thing. I did not use a filter cap. I simply
>threw the diodes in and didn't change anything else. This did not work as
>well as well as using one leg of the NST in the AC mode. I really expected
>an improvement with DC but got the reverse.Can someone please tell me why?

The rated output of an NST is the RMS value, a sort of average output.
In reality the peak value is much higher.  A 15 kv NST actually has a peak
output of around 21 kv.

The energy stored in a capacitor is related to the square of the potential
across
its' terminals.  So that extra 6 kv means quite a bit when it is there.

When you apply full wave rectification to your transformer you get
the same energy pulse every time, but you never see anything like the
peak pulses like you get without rectification because you've eliminated
them.

If you set a static gap so that it only fires when the peak potential arrives
you are applying more energy per pulse into your system and likely seeing
longer sparks, but the average energy thourgh put is less.  With a sync gap
You try to set it so that it commutates nearer to the high points of the
charging curve and get the same effect.

With D.C. it's always the same and around seventy percent of peak.
That 30% reduction in potential results in a lot more energy
reduction in the cap charge than just 30%, remember that V squared
thing?