[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: variac

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Kelly Shutt" <tcatut-at-mail.utexas.edu>
>
> well, I've been trying to find a good variac for a while now, and have been
> unsuccessful at finding one at a good price.  I live in Austin, TX and was
> wondering if anyone knew any good places to look... or maybe one of you has
> one that you wouldn't mind parting with... also, I'm not exactly sure what I
> need... I'm running a 15kv 30ma NST and I'm thinking I need a 3-phase rated
> at about 15 amps... if I'm way off let me know.
> oh yeah, and what's the best way to hook one of these things up once I get
> it?
>
> thanks,
> Kelly

Kelly,

You don't need a 3 phase unit. A surplus single-phase 0-120V or 0-140V
60 Hz variac rated at 5-7.5A will be sufficient for your existing
system. If you can find a variac with a higher current rating, then that
would even be better in case you later decide to increase the number of
NST's powering your system.

Some possible sources:
Look under "Variac", Powerstat", "Variable Transformer", "variable
autotransformer", "Staco", etc. on an auction site such as E-bay
(www.ebay-dot-com). You may pay a bit more, but there are LOTS of them for
sale.

You can also often find them at some of the on-line surplus outfits,
such as Herbach and Rademan (http://www.herbach-dot-com/). Now and then,
LabX Auction in the Electronics-Lab section has them:
(http://www.labx-dot-com/v2/categoriesframe.cfm?colname=allcat). Finally,
the local metals recycling centers (junqueyards) often get them in and
you can often pick them up for little more than the cost of the copper
and iron.

I've also had excellent luck at local hamfests. Check out the ARRL site
for locations near you:
http://www.arrl-dot-org/hamfests.html

Happy hunting!

-- Bert --