[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Several questions about transformer

> 3. What is "mil"? I found that foil thickness is measured in this
>    individuals of measure. (What is dependence : mil to millimetre ?)

mil refers to .001 of an inch.  wire can be measured in mils or in
circular mils.  Take this into account when working with any formulas
that work with wire size.  Make sure you use the correct units with a
given formula.  A lot of guys in my electronics class screwed these
formulas sideways.

In the case of the foil you mentioned CM would not be involved only
mils.  CM refers only to wire.

1 mil = .001"  1/1000 of an inch
1 mil = 3.93 x 10^-5 mm (millimeters)
1000 mils = 1" or 25.4 mm
1 square mil = (4/pi)CM      {where CM is circular mils}

I.E.   a wire with a diameter of 2 mils has a circular mil of 4

a mil is NOT a millimeter  PERIOD!

Neal
NDWhitaker-at-worldnet.att-dot-net