[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

helix vs. flat-spiral primary

Hi all,

I'm wondering a little about how magnetic field shaping of the primary
might affect the coil system...

(excerpts from other emails):

"A flat spiral, (it seems), might affect a smaller
region of the secondary, but with a much denser field. A sharp pulse to a
few secondary turns, rather than a "thin" wipe to a lot of turns, like a
helix might do. Things might be more efficient that way."

"I'm thinking of it sorta like this: If I have a drum, and I hit it with a
drumstick, I get a sharp "rat-tat" sound. If I hit it with one of those
leather chinese-gong hammers, I'll get a softer, more "mushed" sound. The
enery transfered would be the same, but I'd get different outputs of sound.
I was thinking that the narrower field of flat spiral primary would be like
the drumstick, and the helix would be like the soft mallet. Or it might not
matter at all. I just got this idea from trying to visualize the magnetic
fields of the different-shaped primaries."

Comments anyone?

Thanks,
Dan