[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tungstit

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "David Dean" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>
>
> Hi.
>
> While looking for tungsten rod on the net I ran across this material.
> It is a copper tungsten blend made for long life as spark discharge
> machining electrodes. More info can be found at-
>
> http://www.wolfram-industrie-dot-com/intern/Startframe_Int.htm
>
> Click on the link to TUNGSTIT.
>
> This made me think.
> I have been working on casting some copper balls to use for safety gaps etc.
> and after seeing the tungstit it made me wonder what would happen if I
put some
> tungsten dust in the mold before I pour the copper.
>
> Ideas anyone?
>
> later
> deano

David,

I have tried copper tungsten rod in rotary and stationary spark gaps and it is
totally useless. It erodes very rapidly leaving a black residue. It it
meant to be
used in (EDM) Electrical Discharge Machining and works very well in that use. I
don't know what good it would be in a safety gap. A safety gap is just
that, and is
only meant to fire when over voltage conditions are present. If your safety
gap is
firing constantly there is a problem with the system!

Ed Wingate RATCB