[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NO VARIAC USE FOR TUNING?

Hi Terry,

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
> Hi Matt,
> Perhaps you could put a 200 watt lightbulb in series with the AC input
>to sort of act like a ballast to reduce the power during tuning.  I
>have never done this, but it may work unless the other list members
>know something I don't.

I can tell you a situation where it didnīt work ;o)). I needed
to throttle a low voltage, high current transformer. I used
a 100 Watt bulb in the primary. The bulb was new. As long
as there was no load on the secondary side, the bulb lit much
dimmer than when connected across the mains (as expected).

However, once I shorted the secondary side, the bulb lit up
to "more than full brilliance" and died ;o((. I didnīt repeat the
experiment (I used a smaller transformer and no limiting in the
end) and I never did quite figure out what went wrong. I would
guess it had something to do with the energy stored in the
inductor (transformer). A firing gap might do the same thing in
the case of a NST in a TC.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard