[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Synchronous motor

Hi Phil:

I also am using a TTY 3600RPM sync motor in my sync RSG (still under
construction).  You can see pictures at:
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/sync_gap.htm and see if it's the
same motor as yours.

Beyond the HP rating, this motor is the right kind for sync RSG
applications.  I mention the HP rating as I continue to have problems
spinning up the heavy 3/8" disk and pipe electrodes pictured on my web site,
I'm now seeing better results with a .09" G10 disk and acorn nuts.

The motor does require a starting capacitor, mine came with a unit labeled
88-108 uF, 120VAC.  It also requires a starting relay that connects the
starting cap to the starting winding via the 120VAC wire during startup.  I
know this is somewhat vague and I'm not going to attempt an ASCII art
representation, let me know if you're still interested and I'll email you a
GIF schematic.

The color code of the four wires exiting the motor are:
Green - Chassis ground
Red - Start winding (connect to 120VAC through starting cap at startup)
Blue - Run winding (120VAC)
Yellow - Common (neutral)

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA