[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST's ARE ALL DEADLY !!!!!!!!

<snip>

> This is the "current" explanation of how LTR coils work (and I remember
> someone on this list having a similar shocking experience with NSTs),
> BUT I canīt possibly see how this works in the above (getting shocked)
> case. True, an inductor will and can store energy and it will try to
> keep the current flowing as you break the connection (which then
> results in the high voltage kicking effect), BUT an inductor is NEVER
> perfect. It has internal resistive losses and this is where I have my
> comprehension (actually there are two) problem.
>
> -If you unplug an neon and THEN short it. How does it store energy?
>
> -If you short it while it is plugged in (dangerous) and then remove the
>  power, it can store energy, BUT this energy cannot (or at least I
>  donīt comprehend how) be stored indefinitely. In a pure inductor,
>  where there are no resistive losses, this could work, but EVERY
>  copper winding (inductor), esp. at room temperature, will be lossy
>  and I just canīt see how an inductor can store a dangerous amount
>  of energy for several seconds (the time it takes one to unplug it
>  and then remove the short). Even then, you would need to touch
>  BOTH xformer poles simultainiously to get shocked.
>
> Maybe some physics or math gurus can enlighten us on this most
> interesting problem ;o))
>
> Coiler greets from Germany,
> Reinhard

Interesting....  I am a physics major (kinda), and still remember enough
from my E&M (electric and magnetic fields) class....

True, an inductor stores energy via a changing magnetic field, and trys to
keep current flowing.  What is being overlooked is the iron core in an
NST.  Iron is ferromagnetic, and has some incredibly unique magnetic
properties.  One of these is to intensify the magnetic field (which is why
it's used in transformers).  Another is that it retains a magnetic field
(called history).  When the field slowly diminishes after shorting the NST,
it "charges" up the inductive transformer windings.  Current cannot flow
since there is no conductive path, so a charge is built up on the
terminals.  When you touch the terminals, you dissipate the built up
charge, and zap!

Here's an experiment for someone to try (I don't have a working NST yet
:-(  ).  Run your TC as normal, then after shutting it off, short the
terminals, and immediately place a voltmeter across the NST terminals.  Or,
place an ammeter across the terminals.

My two cents

Mark