[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST's ARE ALL DEADLY !!!!!!!!

Hi Alex, all,

Comments below.

> Original Poster: "Alex Crow" <user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net>
> > Original Poster: pmathus-at-learningco-dot-com
> >
> >If you shut off the power to your Ladder, then, shorted the
>> poles, how did you get shocked?  Did you have a cap across
>> the leads or something?  If you actually unplugged the
>> transformers I don't see how  you could get shocked. .
> >      paul

> I think this is something to do with the huge inductances of NSTs
> - shorting them actually helps the stored energy in the inductance,
> breaking the short creates a kick, then ouch... this is in the
>archives somewhere with a better explanation!

This is the "current" explanation of how LTR coils work (and I remember
someone on this list having a similar shocking experience with NSTs),
BUT I canīt possibly see how this works in the above (getting shocked)
case. True, an inductor will and can store energy and it will try to
keep the current flowing as you break the connection (which then
results in the high voltage kicking effect), BUT an inductor is NEVER
perfect. It has internal resistive losses and this is where I have my
comprehension (actually there are two) problem.

-If you unplug an neon and THEN short it. How does it store energy?

-If you short it while it is plugged in (dangerous) and then remove the
 power, it can store energy, BUT this energy cannot (or at least I
 donīt comprehend how) be stored indefinitely. In a pure inductor,
 where there are no resistive losses, this could work, but EVERY
 copper winding (inductor), esp. at room temperature, will be lossy
 and I just canīt see how an inductor can store a dangerous amount
 of energy for several seconds (the time it takes one to unplug it
 and then remove the short). Even then, you would need to touch
 BOTH xformer poles simultainiously to get shocked.

Maybe some physics or math gurus can enlighten us on this most
interesting problem ;o))

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard