[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: G10 Thanks

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> > Original Poster: "Brian H Le Page" <b.h.le-page-at-surrey.ac.uk>
> > said that the rotary that I am building for our coil will have a
> >Tufnol (phenolic) disk.  The only disadvantage I see in using
> >this is that the phenolic matrix is likely to be less tough than
> >the epoxy.  This should not be an issue unless there is a
> >contacting of rotating parts!
>
> If you keep the rpms low, the disk size not too huge and
> use small electrodes, you will also keep the G-forces,
> which act on your running disk, low enough to prevent
> disintegration during a run.
>
> I am building my SRSG using a cage princip. The electrodes
> are arranged between two disks made of G-10. There is NO
> way the electrodes can become dislodged, not even if you
> forget to tighten the grub screws. Even if a stationary electrode
> would come in contact with the rotating ones, the worst it could
> do would be to bend the electrodes, but it will never cause the
> two disks to shatter and let "heavy metal" bullets fly around.
>
> Coiler greets from Germany,
> Reinhard

Reinhard, Brian

If you happen to be using tungsten for your rotary gap
electrodes.........it will not bend, it WILL break and you'll still have
"heavy metal" bullets flying around whether the disks shatter or not.
Linen phenolic works as well as G-10 at reasonable speeds of 4000 RPM or
less, but isn't quite as heat resistant as G-10. At speeds over 4000
RPM, go for the G-10, it's almost indestructable! I run the series
rotary on my magnifier system at 7500 to 8000 RPM and the G-10 rotor
just keeps humming along. In any case, a Lexan and/or 3/4" plywood
guard  is cheap insurance to protect your bod!

Ed Wingate RATCB