[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Effects of the size of toroids

<snip>
> About this, do someone know a formula for the maximum electric

> field at the surface of a toroid, given the voltage? (I asked this
> question some time ago, but didn't get any pointer that I could
> find). Not difficult to discover with an electrostatic simulator,
> but the geometry seems simple enough for a closed formula.
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Antonio,

Terry Fritz has created a program that calculates the electric field around
a coil.  You can find it somewhere in his "misc" folder on his homepage.
Unfortunately, this program is quite CPU-intensive and written in a slow
language.  It took about an hour on my Athlon 500for the program to
"converge" (%change < .5%) with the accuracy set to maximum.  The result
from the program, when opened and plotted as a surface chart in Excel, is
the E-field around a TC, and the stress field (where the most likely places
that the coil will breakout).

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/E-TESLA5.ZIP

Mark