From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:26 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Question about ballasting and VA

Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Original Poster: "Ross Overstreet" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>
Hi Ross,

Just got a quick question (clarification):

I think I understand what your trying to say, but correct
me if I'm wrong: "The reactor acts as an impedance matching
device "because" spark length has a maximum current condition
where no further increase in ballast current will increase spark
length?".

Thanks,
Bart
<snips>I used to think that inductive ballasting works by adding Z in
series with
the primary of the transformer.  Now I think that this is of secondary
importance.  I currently lean towards the idea that the series inductance
allows one to adjust the Z of the transformer so it is a much better match
to the line. I think that it has more in common with "setting the SWR" of
the system than just adding series inductive reactance.