[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bug zapper transformers

> Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
>
> does anyone have any info on bug zappers transformers?

I disassembled two 1980's SEARS large outdoor bug zappers.  They contained
basically a small NST type transformer, which output 4000 volts, 20mA.  Mine
are not center-tapped, they have one HV lead coming out from a bushing, and
a case ground connection.  They each had a 30kV 1500pf Sprague doorknob cap
wired across them, and that was the complete extent of the bug zapper
circuitry.  Both of these items can be used in a small tabletop tesla coil
(I did it).

Newer smaller bug zappers often have PC board circuits with small
flyback-type coils, and a voltage multiplier, similar to what you would find
in an air purifier (sometimes called "beneficial negative ion generators",
which is mostly hocum).  These are useless for Tesla Coils.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net