From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 4:28 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: dc rotary motor

Original Poster: "bob golding" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>

Hi all,
    I have been thinking about rotary gaps. At Corby I tried Mikes
asynchronous
gap on my big coil. I was impressed by the performance. I noticed that the
spark length varied as the gap got hot. I want to try using a variable speed
dc
motor and attempt to vary the speed to  get the Max spark length . I have a
suitable motor I just salvaged from an old centrifuge. It is variable over a
speed range of 0 to 5500 RPM,and is rated at 360 watts. I don't know how the
controller will stand up to the RFI but I will no doubt find out soon
enough. I
will try screening the electronics and maybe run the leads inside some
screened
cable or something. anyone tried using a variable speed drive ? Any comments
welcome.

cheers
bob golding