Access to UNIX cluster-anybody want some processing time?(was :Re: Tesla simulation software project)

> Original Poster: "Paul" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>
>

>> "boris petkovic" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote:
>

> Some time ago I put together a time domain simulation of
> 100 segments, but it was too much even for a 12 processor
> cluster. For now I would be very happy to successfully model
> the steady state AC input impedance upto and including the
> 5/4 overtone.

I have access to 20 C180s and C400s HP-UX running 10.20 on a fibre net at
Agilent for night time processing-If you or anybody else wants to send me
your code or anybody else has a TC simulator that needs heavy
processing-(How fast can you say E-Tesla 5000x5000 array-IF you can work
out those anomalies, TF-and get it to integrate with Beowulf).

> > ...but to my
> > knowledge you're the first person who stresses a need
> > for powerful computer software which will put a stop
> > to many speculations and  ponderings about secondary
> > behavior.
>
> Anyone who has ever swept a network analyser over the
> input of a tesla coil will have been struck by the richness
> of the response. It certainly leaves me wanting to improve
> my understanding of the mechanisms involved. I do believe
> that desktop computers available now are sufficient to
> support a model of order 10^4 sections, and that such a
> model can be of use in furthering our understanding of
> tesla coil physics.
>
> > I'm not a computer programer and I don't know if
> > "brutte force" Microsim like programm dealing with
> > 1000s of elements may operate in human acceptable time
> > (some computer minded member of the list should have
> > answer this?)  ,but extensive computer simulation of
> > coil electrodynamics idea is definitely worth of try.
>
> There are no significant programming problems in this
> project. The challenge lies in understanding the physics
> of the system and in choosing acceptable approximations
> in those areas that are beyond our computational effort.
>
> Nice to hear from you Boris - and thanks for your
> encouraging comments.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Paul Nicholson,