Re: capacitor charge rate/power

Pholp -
	Sure, the simulation is attached.  It shows how the graphs were computed.

http://1071737050/site/misc/ChrgSim.xls

Remember - charge rate varies with time whether or not the charging source
is a steady DC source or a time varying 60 cycle AC sinusoid because the
capacitor voltage is also changing and it is the voltage difference that
effects the charging rate.

	Time and voltage charge are related, so you should be able to lookup the
time to reach a specific charge.  The program was written quickly for my
own use so it may not be clear what's going on.  It mainly shows when
maximum energy is stored and that, depending on capacitor size, charging
continues past the time of peak voltage (assuming gap is set wide) on the
60 cycle AC source.

	Like any simulation, accuracy is dependant upon the no. of iterations.
For most purposes, 100 calculations per 1/4 cycle should be sufficient.
Since Excel was doing all the work, I went for a 1000 calculations and that
gives very very accurate results - more accuracy than is practically needed
for TC purposes.

	If you have trouble making a go of it, give me the details of your
proposed system parameters and I'll set up the program for you and send it
back.  Right now it is set up for a 15/30 NST.

Good luck with it,  Dick