Re: sync motor question

"Tesla list" wrote:
 > Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
 >
 > hello all,
 > i have a question for those in the know about sync motors. i recently
 > got a blower assembly, it has a robbin myers ac motor on it, on the
 > label it reads 115v 60htz 3350rpm\ 115v 50hz 2725rpm, 1/3 hp.
 > my question is, since the speed is labeled different for the two
 > frequencies, could this be a synchronous motor?
 > it already has a very nice 5" flat belt pulley that bolts to a hub on
 > the shaft, and very smooth bearings.
 > i am hoping this can be a good find for a srsg?
 > thank you all in advance,  marc metlicka

Nope I'd say that this is a common non-salient pole motor. In all ac
motors the speed depends on the frequency. In a synchronous motors the
rpm is a multiple of the frequency usually 1800 or 3600rpm, or 1500 &
3000 rpm for 50Hz. In fact alot of ac motors will be labeled something
like 60/50 Hz 3450/2875 rpm.

My $0.02
Jason Johnson