Re: JHCTES - Primary Capacitor

Hi John, All,

> Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>
> To All -
>
> The JHCTES Ver 3.1 computer program available on the Internet shows a
> default example for a 15KV/60ma NST. If the primary capacitor is changed the
> secondary spark output will not change if the NST input current does not
> change. This is correct if there are no other changes in the inputs for the
> system. However, if the pri cap is changed to a resonant type (.0107 uf for
> this NST) the NST input current will increase because of the new cap. This
> new current value should be shown in the inputs. A new spark length will
> then be shown in the outputs.

Just like everyone else, I've been working on a TC program as well. I took Ed
Sonderman's spreadsheet and modified it a few years ago (like everyone else I
guess). Anyway, I'm creating a JavaScript version of the spreadsheet. The
advantage is that any of today's browsers will be able to run it on about any
platform. Part of program involves the condition you describe above. One input
I'm trying to resolve is the resonant cap condition.

Do you (or anyone else) know of a standard calc or table for determining the
increase in current (or power) due to the use of a resonant cap? For some
reason, I don't have a standard calc lying around for this. I guess I could go
back to the books and figure this out, but thought it easier to ask the List
first.

Thanks for any help,
Bart