Re: In search of a big cap

In a message dated 7/14/2000 4:05:38 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>    Hi all!  Not *precisely* TC (unless you count single-shot DC), but I'm
>  looking for a large pulse cap(s).  8 to as-high-as-possible KV, as high a
>  capacitance as I can get.  I can always voltage-double a NST to charge it
>  potential.  Yep, I _am_ searching ebay, but figured I'd drop a line here as
>  well.  Please reply to me off the list
>   sundog-at-earthling-dot-net
>   with info, etc.  Thanks for your time!
>                                                  Shad

Hi guys,
   I went to the elec. surplus store today and measured those big caps.  The
smaller ones were 4 uF!  Might be great for what  you want,. Shad.  I tried
using my hi-pot tester to check the leakage current and possibly the
breakdown voltage - Yeah right.  The monsters just acted like a short circuit
to my wimpy tester.   Oh well.  The tester uses the equivalent of a OBIT size
transformer, so I am not surprised too much.  The only thing else I can think
to do is to bring a 15/60 NST and a spark gap with me to see if they can for
sure handle a two minute spark test or something.  Anyone have an idea for me?
   Oh yeah,  the larger caps(only  about 3 of these on the shelf)  had a
larger capacitance than my meter could read.  This means that they are more
than 400uF and I have no idea of the voltage rating for these either.
    They are asking $50 each for these caps, so if anyone is still
interested, I will pick one up for you.  Might be a great deal, might not.  I
just can't tell still :o(
     Lastly,  one other item they had boxfuls(a couple hundred of them I
would guess) of are 20kV / 500pF 'doorknob' caps.  They were called doorknob
caps, but they look to me like ceramic transmitter caps.  They had the
silver(or silver plated) terminals and were smaller than the doorknob caps I
am familiar with(about 1 inch diameter and inch long).  She wanted 4.95 ea
for these.  I have seen similar looking caps in an RF generator, so I thought
I might mention them since I seem to be advertising for this company,.
Mike