Re: FCC

Hi Nick,

        There is no FCC license for Tesla coils and the FCC generally "frowns"
upon such things.  However, one person's "interference" is another person's
oldies' radio station...  Ground everything well and try not to make the
neighbors mad and the FCC will pass you by.  Tesla coils are a tiny problem and
the FCC will not go out of it's way to "get" you unless someone really
complains hard.  Hospitals, businesses, airports, military, and communications
type "neighbors" may be especially sensitive to radio interference and quick to
call the Feds.

        A well grounded coil will not make very much interference beyond
say 100
feet and will be very hard to find at any rate.  Unless your coil is very big
or you do something "bad" with it, no one will care.  Audio noise seems to
attract more problems than radio noise...

        There are things you can do to reduce RFI like line filters and
ferrites
to make a coil more "stealthy" but unless you have a specific problem with it,
that should not be a great concern.

Cheers,

        Terry