[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

What is Kickback Part 2?

Hi all......

Gary's question is a good one...  but I suppose i have another good one
too.

Im running a 14.4KV pig ballasted with 3 EI core transformers with a
single coil set on each...  coil #1 pulls 5 amps at 240 V  coil #2 pulls
10 amps.. coil #3 pulls 20 amps...by switching on each in a consecutive
manner i increase the amps draw thru the pig ( additive amps up to 35 A
)   when i kick in coil 3 there is an increase spark gap activity ( even
when 3# is on by itself with no other inductors) the current draw
fluctuates from 20 - 50 amps.

there is also a thumping noise heard in the pole pig as the spark gap
increases in brightness as the amp meter swings from 20 - 50 A.

Dr. Res has mentioned that a resistance should be installed in line with
this system ....  but that never really gave me an explination as to why
this anomoly is occuring.

Am i seeing sometype of inductance kick back from the current limiting
inductor to the transformer ?  is there some kind of resonance going on
here?

I tried doing the math but i find no resonance factor that could cause
this amperage swing...    but then again  theoretical and practical are
2 different animals.

Scot D