[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SRSG firing problems

Nathan, I'm no expert but there is definitely something wrong with your
coil besides the spark gap.  I got about 25" out of my 4x16" using 12nF
and a 12/60!  And that was with a horrible two-bolt spark gap!  With
that RQ gap in yours you should be getting at least 25"!  I think if
your tuning is that far off it's not surprising you are having RSG
problems.  If my tuning is way off my gap doesn't like to fire.

I think you're trying to go about things in reverse order!  I'd get the
tuning right with the RQ gap and then try the SRSG.  Also, I think
someone may have already mentioned both these, but test each HV terminal
of your NST to ground to make sure one leg of your NST isn't dead.
Also, make SURE the bottom of your secondary is connected to a GOOD
ground.  On my 4x16", I got little to no output and sometimes SG failure
because my secondary ground had come loose.

-Stan