[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie....was Details

Hi All,
         sound though most of his advice is I think Chris may be in danger
of making this hobby sound a lot harder than it is.

You DO need to know what you are doing.
You DO need to take safety seriously.

However a lab full of cpr trained assitants isn't necessary (particullarly
as cpr won't help after most electrical hits - you need a portable
difibrilator)

Coilers have run on their own for many years and never had any problems.
Many of our most respected list members are soloists - malcom watts, john
freau etc.

About maths - trust it.  If the maths and the results don't match you've got
the maths wrong. You only get out of maths what you put in - if you don't
understand what the maths is modelling you'll get the maths wrong.

You should be as far as you practically can be from the coil - for a coil of
your size 3m would be plenty.
You should never deliberately take a secondary hit from any tesla coil -
they all leave burns and all can kill.

Good labs notes help - however if your not a paper based person then you
don't have to - its more important to get a feel for the way the thing works
than to slavishly write down numbers you don't understand or don't need.

A mentor or at least a friend who is familiar with your coil is a good
idea - that way if they need to answer a question you don't spend hours
explaining the details - they know the coil and can answer quickly.

Regards
Nick Field

> Original Poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> >Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
> >
> >hey im a new coiler and havnt even built an actual coil.
>
> Give it time, you will :)
>
> i a 3by3 incher though!it put out 1.5 inch sparks.
>
> ummmm......alright, lemmie see if I can translate this.
> You wound a 3"X3"coil? and made 1.5" sparks? Ignition coil?
>

> it was powered by a 1250volt3.5ma he-ne laser supply.
>
> That's VERY low amperage. what EXACTLY are you doing with this?
>

> hopefully you got the hints that i dont know what im doing.
>
> It's alright, Research is what we're doing when we don't know what we're
> doing :)
>
> i just orderd a couple of 7.5kv30ma transformers and im building a 3 by 18
> inch
> >secondary.
>
> I have $5 that says you don't. Try a 4:1 winding ratio and you will only
> have to wind ONE secondary for now. :) If you "Candlestick" your secondary
> you will drasticly loose performance. As I understand it though, Tube
Coils
> prefer high ratios. hmmm, weird.
>
> I have a 6"x24" coil, that's 4:1 and the performance is great. With little
> coils they seem to like a bit higher ratio, like 5:1 or so, BIG coils,
like
> Wysocks toys, sometimes use a lower ratio, like 3:1.
>
> These are Terribly finicky machines, and your coil WILL have a personality
> of it's own. They also have a sense of humour.
>

> can you help me by telling me the dangers such as electricution and
> >things never to do and how loud is this?
>
> Boden's Coiling Survival Tips. Ver 1.1
>
> 1. Before you touch ANYTHING on your coil, put the plug in your front
> pocket, no exceptions.
>
> 2. Never play alone. In our lab there is NO HV work done without a Buddy,
> and ANYONE who works in our HV lab has to know at least basic First Aid
and
> CPR. Many of us are trained in EMS. LEARN CPR!
>
> 3. You don't have to actually TOUCH something to get killed. At ANYTHING
> over 600VAC it can, and will, jump out and bite you.
>
> 4. "Skin Effect" is a joke. Unless you plan on being a broadcast
Enginneer,