[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ballast inductor...

Here's one for you...  I have two identical MOT's, both fairly beefy.  I
have ground out the 2 welds holding the I piece on the EI core.  This
allowed me to remove the windings + shunts.  Unfortunately on my other two
MOT's the mounting brackets are welded to both the E and I sections, and
across their joint :(.

If I put the two E sections like this,

    ---- ----
    |       |
    ---- ----
    |       |
    ---- ----

Then I have a core with the same cross sectional area as a single mot
(meaning same current capability) and twice the window size (more convenient
for wiring).  I was thinking of having my friendly motor shop wind me a coil
for it, then use it as a variable air gapped ballast inductor. (Haven't
acquired a variac yet- no credit card and not patient or trusting enough to
mail a check).

What sort of distance of gap would I be looking at for a reasonable
adjustment range? 1/8 inch range, or maybe 2 inch range... Just a ballpark
would help.  Also what should I shoot for in the winding- gauge and #of
turns?

The primaries are still intact, along with 1 secondary- I destroyed the
other thinking to use that MOT as a powerinverter tranny and not thinking to
remove the welds before hand, long before I got back into tesla.  The
primaries have ~110 turns (~1turn/volt), and look to be about 12-14 gauge. I
am hoping for flexibility in my design, meaning I will have the two
primaries available when I need an isolation transformer, then I will have
the air gapped arrangement for ballasting my NST's (or pig, someday...), and
have a coil also for a power inverter for my vehicle...

The oven each came from was 1450 watts total dissipation, the only other
things connected to the AC line in them were a bulb(40w), a fan (~50w) and a
small power transformer (~50w).

I also tried Bill Arcstarter's suggestion for using some 4Gauge windings on
one of the MOT's to make a Spot Welder.  Well, I don't know anything about
welding, but it did a number on about 7 test strands from a 12 gauge
stranded cable... Made a neat copper flower where the strands were
thoroughly fused at one end.

I need more space, and more MOTs, and more NSTs, and more magnet wire, and
to finish my coil winder, and to finish my coil, and to have more time in
the day, and...

Thoughts and comments welcomed!

the_machin_shin-at-hotmail-dot-com

We are only immortal for a limited time.