[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Current vs voltage in inductive balasting

Hello David, all
> Hello,

snip...
>Also, when I
> used ~20 mH series L, I had a primary line voltage drop of ~25-30V, is
> this normal? I thought inductive ballasting was supposed to be esentially
> "lossless", but what causes tha voltage drop? Hope these questions are not
> to stupid.

That is exactly what I do not understand. I have heard on that list, that
inductances limit the current without any voltage drop. But in my idea, a
20mH inductance will have an impedance of 6.3 ohm (-at-50Hz). So the inductance
will cause a voltage drop of  Z*I , exactly as a 6.3 ohm resistor would!
Additionally, an inductance will cause a difference of phase of 90° (+ or -,
I don't remember, and I am too lazy to open a book now) between voltage and
current which would influence the power drawn, which is max. when voltage
and current are in phase...

Thanks to those who will light up my light bulb...

Samuel