[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil design

Yeah, I don't know what happened with that message.  i sent it to tesla-at-pupman
like all the others.

I hope to move up to a bigger cap, probably MMC, and 120mA ganged NSTs at some
point, but this is my first coil and i'm starting, well, medium:)

I finished the primary this weekend, and built the toroid last night.  It's 6"
heating duct around 9" pieplates, so if I understand the toroid sizing
convention correctly this toroid is 6" x 15" for around 23pF?  if it isn't big
enough i'll build another.

As far as an NST protection network, I'm taking Adam and Terry and Gary Lau's
advice and going to use a safety gap, a 1.8k 113w resistor on each leg and a
500pf 30KV doorknob cap from each leg to ground.  I'm also going to use a
20 amp
line filter. I ordered these components from C & H Sales and i'm waiting to
get
them.

I don't know yet what kind of performance i'm going to get because I haven't
tried it yet!  Since all that's left is various mounting chores and wiring it
up, I have high hopes for first light this weekend or next. . . . Gotta go buy
some welding cable. . .  .

paul