[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Conducting through glass

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
> And, in fact, this is how they keep glass molten in the glass manufacturing
> business.. Just stick carbon electrodes into it and run beaucoup current
> through it.

	I would like to quibble about "conduction" through glass at room
temperature, unless the glass is punctured.  The small hand-held spark
coils often known as "Tesla coils" are intended for use in finding
places where there is a hold through glass, no matter how tiny that hole
may be.

	As for the conduction of molten glass, when I was a kid we used to play
around by hooking a couple of carbon rods in series with an electric
iron as ballast, starting an arc between them, and feeding bits of blass
into the arc.  It was quite easy to make a large puddle of orange hot
molten glass with the carbons separated an inch or more and no arcing at
all after the process started.  Would take at most a half hour to make
the setup.

Ed