[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Initial setting for sync phase angle on an RSG

Bart,

Having played a bit more in SPICE, I think the parallel resistor/variac
might well give good service for shifting the phase of a RSG.  Not having
any capacitors seems to give a much more stable solution than any LC
combination I've played with, and you've got fair control over the degree of
phase shift the system can generate.  The best results seem to be when the
resistor has a value equal to the AC impedance of the motor, and the variac
can go from 0 to 3-4 times the inductance of the motor.  This combination
can give up to about a 45 degree shift, though the higher the shift the
lower the motor current.

I'm currently in the process of converting a motor to sync operation and
will let you know if the theory pans out in practise.

Colin.