[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spinning Toroids

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>
>
>         Has anyone on the list tried spinning their own toroids?  I have
seen them

snipperzzzz...

Hi Andy ...

Ive seen spinning in action ...  it requires a bit more than simple
tools ...

you need the form base ( normally a HUGE chunk of shaped wood usually
laminated hardwood)

a lathe capable of doing the diameter of the spin plus 12" a.k.a. 24"
toriod = 36" lathe...  due to the original plate being flat ...

there is also the need for the forming tool...  consists of a long
handled "prybar" set on a pivot with either a hardwood end or
rollers....

and at best a good working knowledge of lathes and what to do when the
plate goes WACKO and shreds everything with in 3 feet ....

Scot D