[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: surplus bargains, PCB's

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Lightingcontrols-at-worldnet.att-dot-net
>
> Hi All,
>  Thanks for answers to my previous post.
>  You guys are the only ones who can understand my
> pleasure with my surplus bargains. A complete X-ray power
> supply for $50.00. And a 5Kv DC supply for $20.00. I got
> a 120 volt - 20 amp variac, 240v-20 amp variac, 60kv
> meter, 500 milliamp meter and all sorts of other goodies.
> Metal cabinets, caps, etc. All from the Arizona State
> University surplus warehouse.
> BIG CONCERN! PCB's in the X-Ray transformer. I did check
> the archives on PCB's and X-ray. The stuff does float on
> water. But, it is yellowish in color. Does seem to smell
> like motor oil, not chlorine. What does benzine smell
> like?
>  The archives did not seem concerned about PCB's in X-Ray
> xformers. There is at least 10 gallons of oil in this
> thing. I asked about PCB's, they had no clue. I would be
> dissapointed if a "learned institution" would sell
> outlawed chemicals to the general public with no
> disclaimers.
>  The transformer is a Phillips Type 42117/B.
>  Any advice would be well taken.
> A slightly concerned coiler.
> Thanks all,
> Allen Cart

Allen,

Nice scores!

Re: the X-Ray transformer oil: RELAX! If it smells like motor oil and
floats on water, it's mineral oil. Dielectric Mineral oil is very often
a light straw color, that can darken with age and heat.

PCB-based transformer oil will not smell like chlorine - instead it will
have a sweetish, benzene-like odor, and the higher specific gravity of
PCB's means that they'll sink in water.

Enjoy your new acquisitions!

-- Bert --