Spark Gaps

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ANTarchimedes-at-aol-dot-com>

      'Twas not too long ago that I brought up vacuum-contained spark gaps
as means of reducing both heat/ozone generation and noise output.  My case
was quickly let off because of the fact that there's going to be signifigant
noise output from the secondary anyways, and we already have means of
controlling excessive heat and ozone.  Well, it turns out that there is a
major benefit still!  The noise generated from the spark gap... where does
that energy come from?   From the primary circuit, of course.  Then that
energy must be converted; wasted, if you will.  Then we're not getting our
maximum electrical potential out of our secondary circuit, and thus, shorter
arc length. Sure, the sound will reappear off the secondary, but it will
lengthen the arc! Try it!