Re: Small TC experiments

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> Ed,
>
> Agree with your comments about Lundin's formula. For those without
> access to the paper, it is:
>
> |a = radius (metres)
> |b = length (metres)
> |N = number of turns
> |
> |PI = 3.14159
> |
> |MU = 4 * PI * 1.0E-7
> |
> |x = 4 * a * a/(b * b)
> |
> |f = (1 + 0.383901 * x + 0.017108 * x * x)/(1 + 0.258952 * x)
> |
> |L = MU * N * N * a * a * PI/b * (f - 8 * a/(3 * PI * b)) Henries.
>
> which is certainly a lot easier to code than a double-difference
> table lookup.

	I had more trouble getting the table in correctly than in the
interpolation.  Mad to convince my wife to be patient enough to proof
read as I read from the original text.  That was over 20 years ago and
don't think she'd be willing now.

> Referring to an air-core mutual inductance calculator program,
>
>    http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/acmi/
>
> Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net> wrote:
>
> > Do you have a compiled version available that will run in DOS or
> > Windows?
>
> I don't run windows so I can't manage that one, but I've created
> an ACMI.EXE for 16 bit DOS, which should be OK in a windows DOS
> box. Use it like
>
> |C:\ACMI>acmi < bart.in
> |acmi version v0.1d, 13th December 2000
> |Primary
> |     radius: from 0.210 to 0.394 m
> |     height: Flat at 0.035 m
> |Secondary
> |     radius: 0.162 m
> |     height: 0.000 to 1.143 m
> |     length: 1.143 m
> |Primary self inductance: 108.6 uH
> |Secondary self inductance: 80.3 mH
> |Primary to Secondary mutual inductance: 604.1 uH
> |Coupling coefficient: 0.204
>
> where bart.in is an example text file describing the coil
> geometries, made up from one of the sample input files on the web
> site. I can do a version in fortran, java, or pike if anybody wants
> them, but remember that this program is at the stage of being a
> tentative experiment and it awaits a more thorough comparison with
> measurement - released onto the web in the hope that it will collect
> some empirical support.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Paul Nicholson,
> Manchester, UK.

	I just looked at your site and didn't find the *.exe file.  Where can
it be found?

Thanks,

Ed