Re: Quick Q

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<Quantum-X-at-Qserve.8m-dot-com>

> Hiyas
> I've completed construction of my coil now, and am just waiting of a few
> components [lacquer, 100W resistors [where do i get em? :P], and Caps]- I
> have seen photo's of people hooking their sparkgap straight up to their
> NST, and playing with that. [It was done without protection]
>
> Is this sensible to do? Or, without NST protection, do I stand a good
> chance of wasting my tranny?
>
> Thanks
> Simon

	I always have operated with the gap directly across the transformer,
and the gap spacing set so that it will just fire with the primary
circuit disconnected.  The only times (2) I've lost a transformer have
been when I got greedy and opened up the gap!

	For resistors and other good stuff you might try C & H Sales:

http://aaaim-dot-com/cgi-local/shop991/shop.pl/page=start_shopping.htm

Don't know what value you are looking for, but their RS2004 - 4000 ohm,
40 watt - would be quite good as a series resistor for protecting the
secondary of a 60 ma transformer, and should be plenty of power; one of
them in each leg of the transformer would be suitable.  If you're
worried about the voltage drop (only 240 volts) you could use to in
parallel on each side.

Ed