More on underwater gaps

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

I just wanted to share with you the results of some experiments with
underwater spark gaps I did yesterday.  As a power source I used a
6 K.V., 250 mA., mini-pig connected across a pair of tungsten dart
tips which where in series with a 0.1 uF., 60 K.V. cap, and a coil
of 30 turns of no. 8 about 2 inches in diameter and 5 inches long.
The dart tips where positioned just below the surface of the water
and about an inch apart in a styrofoam coffee cup.

Upon applying power I was both startled and overjoyed with the show
of light and the sounds emitted from the lashup.  There was a rapid
firing of three or four times per second with bright yellow flashes
of light and the sound of a high powered automatic pistol firing.
Without ear defenders on, the noise was awesome!  Lots of steam was
produced as well, making me think of non-Tesla applications.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca