Re: Third try at first light

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/7/00 6:45:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

- snip -
<<
 > The coil is using a 15/30 NST i aquired from a neon shop for $25.
 > currently i have no protection for it and really need to get some because
 > $25 is still alot of money to us poor college students. ive seen some
 > coilers using wire wrapped around some pvc or toilet paper tubes. is
 > this sufficient for a small coil?

 If your talking about RF chokes I don't know. I wouldn't think that it would
 be enough, but I also thought that the general consensus was steering clear
 of RF chokes.

- snip -

I believe Terry's protection circuit describes resistors in series with the
high voltage leads from the neon sign transformer and a capacitor to ground
from each high voltage terminal.  I use only one 3,000 ohm 50 watt resistor
in series with each high voltage lead - and haven't had any problems.

Ed Sonderman