Re: Primary > secondary distance?

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/7/00 2:13:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Anyway, I've been looking at pics of other people's coils, and noticed that
>  the distance from the primary [inner turn] to the secondary is only about
>  one to one and a half inches. On my coil, this distance is about 2 or 2 1/4
>  inches.. this won't affect the performace [too much?] will it - or is it
>  not that important?

Simon,

It's the overall coupling that is important.  The overall size of the
coil matters too.  I wouldn't worry about it.  If you have to, you can
lower the secondary 1/2" or so below the primary plane, and this
will increase the coupling too.  My research coil is set up that way
right now, and works fine.

John Freau