Re: Keeping copper tubing new looking

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kevin R Eldredge" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> All
>
>   After just building a new copper tubing primary, and looking at one of
> my older tarnished copper primary coils, I wonder if anyone has tried any
> technique for keeping the oxidation off? (other than the nasty steel wool
> treatment)
>   I'm trying a coat of light machine oil as I use on my cast iron power
> tools to warrant off oxidation, has anyone tried this?
>
> Coiling on Oklahoma
>
> Kevin E.
> www.flash-dot-net/~kreld/kevin's.htm

	You can buy cans of copper cleaner (mild abrasive plus some sort of
acid) at most grocery stores.  If applied carefully (you put it on wet
from a cloth, or at least I do) it doesn't scratch the copper and
produces a nice clean finish.  To make it really shine, of course, you
do need to use the very fine steel wool after cleaning and washing
thoroughly in water.  I usually mix up baking soda and water for the
rinse.

	Another ancient standby which also works quite nicely is to make a past
of table salt and vinegar, and rub  it on the surface to be cleaned.
The salt apparently is a source of HCl as well as a mild abrasive.  Easy
to experiment with.......

	You can buy concrete cleaner at hardware stores.  It has phosphoric
acid in it and also cleans copper/brass quite well.

	Then there is "pool acid", crude HCl.

	Lastly, you can get "instant-dip" silver cleaner at the grocery
stores.  It also works well but is quite expensive.

	No matter what you use, the copper must be thoroughly rinsed
afterwords.  As for oil, I have used silicone spray quite effectively
(spray it on and wipe off with paper towel), and also carnuba wax.
Spray polyurethane varnish works very well on such items as doorknobs
and the like, which see a lot of wear.  The surface must be absolutely
clean and free of grease or oil,but if you get it on right the results
can be quite satisfying.

	Many other ways for polishing, but these are a few which work.

Ed

Ed