Re: Here I sit in total mysery being blown off by every source of NST

In a message dated 8/24/00 10:21:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< I've been tentatively looking for a used NST for months and getting
nowhere,
 and getting sign shops that say "We are not set up to sell to individuals", I
 finally broke down and paid a ton of cash for the NST I have right now that
is
 fried as a pancake. I don't want to go through this again. I'd rather take a
 hammer to my coil and destroy it to dust before I let these jerks that live
in
 this area treat me like I don't exist or make appointments to meet and never
 show up.

 I want to buy an NST that works, I want to be able to get it in the standard
6
 to 8 days UPS ground not save up for 6 months for a new one. >>

Just out of curiosity....how much do you guys have to pay for new NST's? Best
I can remember Even an Allanson 15/60 is less than $200.00 shipping and all.
Yeah, that is more than scrounged ones, but not unreachable to even a
highschooler.

I don't think I can order them through work and resell them, so don't ask,
(Liability reasons) But, Anybody should be able to call up a distributor and
say this is John Doe DBA XYZ signs in so and so city and I need a couple this
and that. No prob? Cool! here is my Visa number please ship to......

I work for a sign company (graphic artist), we don't do neon anymore because
of the liability issues with stringing HV tension wire through walls,
crawl-spaces, attics, etc. But, I still have my supplier lists for these
items and I don't see the high prices that seem to make some people spend
hours of time and gas money hand-over-fist to avoid. Now, don't get me wrong,
I scrounge with the best of them, mostly because I like 'the hunt'. But, am I
just lucky to have jobber discounts on new NST's or what? Some of my supply
catalogs show a pro discount around half of the MSRP. Matter of fact as I
type this my feet are propped up on a 12/30 Allanson, which is completely
unused, left over from one of our last jobs that I brought home for free (i
LOVE free stuff) to save it from the dumpster. It was going to the dumpster
because it is not that valuable in sign shop terms, and was worth less than
the space it occupied in our production sign shop. It's under my PC desk now
because I have not found the time to find it a more suitable space to live
until I can get it into a coil. And right behind the press on my reloading
bench is it's 9/30 Allanson little brother that is also new and came from the
same deal (take them with you or to the dumpster). VBG

I spent a couple of minutes on the way home from work one day last week
stopping by a local beer distributor warehouse. I found a guy that looked
like a salesman in the parking lot, asked if he had any busted neon beer
signs, and got 2 brand new but shattered signs with 9KV Franceformers on
each. All in less than 10 minutes and with no prior arrangements. You know
where they were?   In the dumpster around the side of the warehouse. This
salesman said they throw away a few every month that are brand new and even
more that get damaged at retail sites. I was just imagining all those
perfectly good, name-brand, NSTs lost forever in the county landfill. Poor
little NSTs. Now I'll admit most of these things are the new, safety minded,
dual power, odd shaped units, but they still charge a tank and oddly
enough...the ones I got last week are potted in tar and mica instead of
epoxy. I don't know if that is standard now or not, but opens up the
possibility to unpot them and make them more traditional in design. Try
looking for stuff like that at convenience stores and grocery stores. Neon
tubes stink when they break. (they also have metallic mercury in a lot of
them so treat them as nasty when hauling them in the car where your
kids/spouse also ride.) And most stores simply toss them out when they become
damaged.

Sign shops are not the only places to find this kind of stuff is what I'm
trying to say I guess. The gas/cigarette/food/beer/wine multipurpose store
where you buy your gas and the clerk is used to seeing your face every few
days might even sell you a neon sign (who is to say it wasn't really
broken?). I bought one for my little brother one year as a Christmas present
like that for $30. It wasn't even completely unpacked yet.

Keep digging and when all else fails buy new. Keep in mind that most sign
shops are busy. Most have more work than time to do it in. It is east to get
lost in the dust when dealing with sign shops especially when you are getting
something from them for little or no cost. Don't get too mad at the
signpainters that seem unconcerned with your hobby. We are all busy. Best bet
is to find a shop and make friends with the owner. Most signpainters are
inclined toward weird hobbies too. Get in good with an owner/manager and it
makes it easier to gain access to their time which is more valuable than the
surplus equipment we are all hunting for.

New to coiling, but learning all the time,

Marc S.
The other Marc