Re: I give up!! I regret building my tesla coil!

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2000 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: I give up!! I regret building my tesla coil!

> Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
> First off...
>
> 1) Never believe the advertising with respect to spark length (just like
> MPG, your mileage may vary, and will usually be less). Coiling is
> frustrating... there are so many things that affect the spark length, and
> most of them interact.  Be happy with 1" at first, and then gradually make
> it longer.
>
> 2) The only homemade cap that I'd fool with is a beer bottle cap.  For the
> hassle, any sort of poly/aluminum foil version is stomped into the ground
> by a MMC.  For quick and dirty, get it working... get some transmitting
> doorknobs. Sure, they aren't the best, but they DO work, and they are
> readily available, and easy to connect to.  If you are truly poverty
> stricken (like your budget is < $25, and you have lots of time to
> scrounge), the beer bottle (or wine bottle or whatever) is the way to go:
> salt, aluminum foil, and cooking oil are awfully cheap (if not free).
>
> All coiling (or maybe everything) is a tradeoff.... The cool, slick,
> compact system isn't going to be cheap.  Cheap is generally bulky, heavy,
> fragile, or clunky (or all of the above).
>
> This all said, it is possible to easily get 12 inch sparks from a 15 kV/30
> mA neon transformer ($80 brand new retail, much much less used or
> scrounged), a pair of 2700 pF, 40kV doorknobs (about $25 each at an
> "expensive" surplus place), bare #14 AWG house wire for the primary, 3
> pieces of 1" copper tubing 2" long as a spark gap, and a secondary wound
on
> a 3" cardboard mailing tube with #21 enameled wire, and a toroid made with
> 4" flex dryer vent tubing and two pie pans. No chokes, but the wiring is
> short, and the gap is across the NST, so I figure the gap shunts all the
> RF. It may not be fancy, but it works.  You'll need a few scraps of
plywood
> to hold everything, and some sort of insulating standoffs to hold things
> like the spark gap.
>
> It shouldn't  take more than 8 hours to put it together, starting with all
> the parts lying on the table in front of you until you get "first light",
> which will be sparks a few inches long to a grounded rod. Then, you'll
> spend the rest of your life trying to make them longer...
>
> ----------
> > From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: I give up!! I regret building my tesla coil!
> > Date: Sunday, August 20, 2000 6:52 PM
> >
> > Original poster: "Garry F." <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> >
> > I have built tesla coils when I was in high school, in college and
> recently. My
> > biggest problem was a continual burning out of the NST over and over
> because I
> > could never understand the hieroglyphics that were presented to me
> instead of
> > plain english as to how to build a choke to prevent feedback.

> [...]

WOW, nobody gives up with out a fight. when i was 14 yrs old an
electrician helped me make a tccoil and its output was close to 3 feet
without a toroid! boy i wished i had the exact plans NOW! we experienced
some type of flashover,the glass plate cap went boom and so did the water
heater element,and most of the telephones on the street! well it's 36 years
later and i'm coiling again but i know it will be a while before i see a
3footer!!! document-document-document. It makes it real easy to back up when
you hit a bad setup. otherwise you continue to fumble continuously and get
mad quick. I've been reading the mail and there are some of the best tc
tech's right here with all sorts of wisdom free and willing. I will try to
answer any scrounge questions you have from my email  ka1bbg1-at-mcttelecom-dot-com
brian......